After several attempts of injecting cosmetic fillers to her buttock at home, a woman from Da Nang City was faced with severe reactions and tissue necrosis.
JW Cosmetic Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City has recently admitted L.T.K, 26, a patient from Da Nang City who was suffering from severe buttock pain, staffers of the hospital reported.
K. said that she had had her dermal filler injected at cosmetic facilities multiple times in the past, and recently switched to self-injection after buying VND150 million (US$6,500) worth of filler of “American origin”, as advertised by the seller.
To help cut cost, she asked a friend, who only has informal training in cosmetic treatments, to help injecting fillers to her buttock, only to find out two months later that her rear area got swollen up, with large abscesses forming and pain ensuing.
After seeing no success trying to break the abscesses and remove the fillers by herself, she was heading to Ho Chi Minh City for medical help, but chose to drop off midway in Binh Duong Province to get treatment sooner.
Here, she underwent six days of filler removal surgery, but it barely helped as another abscess formed in the meantime, which required K. to eventually go to a doctor in Ho Chi Minh City.
According to Doctor Nguyen Phan Tu Dung, director of JW Cosmetic Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City, preliminary examination and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanning showed that filler leakage had spanned K.’s left buttock and reached pelvic bones, leading to swelling and threats of tissue necrosis, while a severe lesion in the middle of the bruising area caused excruciating pain for the patient.
Seeing the situation, the doctors at JW Cosmetic Hospital ordered an immediate filler removal surgery for K.
After a four-hour surgery, K. was pulled out of danger and is receiving intravenous antibiotics to prevent bacterial infection.
On Thursday, she met with inspectors of Ho Chi Minh City’s Department of Health as well as local police officers, who sought to clarify the details of the cosmetic treatment incident.
Regarding the case, Dung of JW Hospital highly recommended against buttock filler injection due to the substantial risk of upsetting the venous and cerebral system in the area, which may in turn lead to tissue necrosis.