Three family members died while another is in a critical condition due to suspected asphyxiation at their tenanted home in Thu Duc City, Ho Chi Minh City on Wednesday.
A source close to Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper confirmed on the same day that the municipal Department of Public Security was coordinating with Thu Duc City police in investigating the reason behind the deaths.
Preliminary information showed that residents on No. 6 Street in Hiep Binh Phuoc Ward, Thu Duc City discovered a married couple and their two children lying unconscious at their rented house on Wednesday morning.
The victims include L.V.K., 45, his wife N.T.L., 44, their son L.Q.H., 16, and their daughter L.T.K.L., 23, according to Nguoi Lao Dong (Laborer) newspaper.
The four family members were rushed to the hospital for emergency treatment, but the married couple and their son were already dead.
The daughter is being treated at Cho Ray Hospital in District 5.
The patient suffered liver, kidney, and brain damage, said Le Quoc Hung, a senior doctor at the hospital.
As of 9:00 pm on Wednesday, her condition had stabilized, but she was still in a deep coma, Dr. Hung elaborated.
According to officers, the family hails from south-central Binh Thuan Province.
The married couple sold fish for a living at Tan Dinh Market in District 1.
Neighbors said the couple often steamed fish over honeycomb briquette ovens at night to prepare for their sales in the next morning.
Police believed that the victims had died of asphyxiation from carbon monoxide (CO) inhalation, but further assessment is needed.
Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!