Twenty-four tourists among a large group in Da Nang were hospitalized for signs of food poisoning several days after they came to the central Vietnamese city from Hanoi, doctors said.
On Tuesday morning, Hospital 199, under the Ministry of Public Security, located in Son Tra District, Da Nang, received some members of the group, consisting of some 100 travelers in total, who suffered food poisoning symptoms including abdominal pain and vomiting.
By 8:00 pm of the same day, the total number of patients had amounted to 24, said Nguyen Tan Hai, head of the Da Nang City Food Safety Management Board.
Doctors administered intravenous fluids to the patients and provided them with digestive enzymes in order to stabilize their health conditions soon.
“So far almost all these poisoning cases have recovered, with no serious complications,” a representative of the hospital said.
Most of the patients have been discharged from the hospital as they have been scheduled to take a flight back to Hanoi on Wednesday, only two patients stayed at the hospital, including one child, for further treatment and care, doctors said.
Hai told Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper on Tuesday that his agency assigned a team to collect relevant information from the patients and the firm that organized the tour for them, who arrived in Da Nang several days earlier.
“We have recorded the addresses of all the restaurants where the tourist group came during their stay in the city," Hai said.
"We will work with each of the eateries to clarify the cause of the food poisoning."