JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

15-year-old boy dies of Whitmore's disease in Hanoi

15-year-old boy dies of Whitmore's disease in Hanoi

Sunday, November 13, 2022, 15:27 GMT+7

A 15-year-old boy has died of Whitmore's disease, also known as melioidosis, despite treatment at a hospital in Hanoi.

An official of Vietnam National Children’s Hospital confirmed on Saturday that the patient, who hailed from north-central Thanh Hoa Province, died on Friday in a state of multi-organ failure and intestinal necrosis.

The boy was admitted to the infirmary on day 12 of the disease onset and was diagnosed with septic shock, multiple organ failure, and Whitmore’s disease.

Two days before the onset, he came home from school and was soaked in rainwater, according to family members.

The boy then had a high fever for four days in a row, coughing, rash with pain in the right chest, and abdominal pain.

He was treated at a local hospital before being transferred to Vietnam National Children’s Hospital.

The boy was one of the two patients treated for Whitmore's disease at Vietnam National Children’s Hospital.

The other patient, a 10-year-old from Thanh Hoa Province, was in a less severe condition and is recovering well.

According to the medical literature, Whitmore's disease is an infectious disease in humans and animals caused by the bacterium Burkholderia pseudomallei.

Recent studies show that the disease is recorded in many northern and southern provinces.

The mortality rate from the disease is quite high, over 40 percent, especially in patients with septic shock and severe pneumonia.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

A 15-year-old boy has died of Whitmore's disease, also known as melioidosis, despite treatment at a hospital in Hanoi.

An official of Vietnam National Children’s Hospital confirmed on Saturday that the patient, who hailed from north-central Thanh Hoa Province, died on Friday in a state of multi-organ failure and intestinal necrosis.

The boy was admitted to the infirmary on day 12 of the disease onset and was diagnosed with septic shock, multiple organ failure, and Whitmore’s disease.

Two days before the onset, he came home from school and was soaked in rainwater, according to family members.

The boy then had a high fever for four days in a row, coughing, rash with pain in the right chest, and abdominal pain.

He was treated at a local hospital before being transferred to Vietnam National Children’s Hospital.

The boy was one of the two patients treated for Whitmore's disease at Vietnam National Children’s Hospital.

The other patient, a 10-year-old from Thanh Hoa Province, was in a less severe condition and is recovering well.

According to the medical literature, Whitmore's disease is an infectious disease in humans and animals caused by the bacterium Burkholderia pseudomallei.

Recent studies show that the disease is recorded in many northern and southern provinces.

The mortality rate from the disease is quite high, over 40 percent, especially in patients with septic shock and severe pneumonia.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Duy Khang - Duong Lieu / Tuoi Tre News

More

Read more

;

Photos

VIDEOS

‘Taste of Australia’ gala dinner held in Ho Chi Minh City after 2-year hiatus

Taste of Australia Gala Reception has returned to the Park Hyatt Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City's District 1 after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic

Vietnamese woman gives unconditional love to hundreds of adopted children

Despite her own immense hardship, she has taken in and cared for hundreds of orphans over the past three decades.

Vietnam’s Mekong Delta celebrates spring with ‘hat boi’ performances

The art form is so popular that it attracts people from all ages in the Mekong Delta

Vietnamese youngster travels back in time with clay miniatures

Each work is a scene caught by Dung and kept in his memories through his journeys across Vietnam

Latest news