Fifty-six students from Kim Giang Elementary School in Thanh Xuan District, Hanoi developed symptoms of food poisoning after a field trip on Tuesday.
Pham Gia Huu, head of the Education and Training Division of Thanh Xuan District, said on Tuesday evening that hospitals where the students are receiving treatment are working to discover the cause while providing treatment for the students.
On Tuesday, Kim Giang Elementary School organized the field trip to the Canh Buom Xanh (Blue Sail) Tourist Site in Gia Lam District, Hanoi for 915 first- and second-grade students.
Their lunch was prepared by the school’s canteen and transported to the tourist site. Dishes included fried rice, fried chicken, fries, sour soup, and cookies.
The students also had their own snacks and drinks prepared by their families, while the tourist site supplied them with bottled drinking water, the Vietnam News Agency reported.
They completed the trip and returned to the school at 2:30 pm on the same day when 56 students showed symptoms of abdominal pain and vomiting.
Of the total, 41 students were taken to nearby hospitals, while the remaining 15 students were being monitored at the school’s infirmary.
These 15 students are now in stable condition and have returned home.
Leaders of the People’s Committee of Thanh Xuan District have requested the district education division and the relevant agencies to identify the cause to set parents’ and students’ minds at rest.
The Hanoi Food Safety Authority proposed suspending the operation of Kim Giang Elementary School’s canteen.
According to a report by the authority, Kim Giang Elementary School signed a contract with Green Star Food JSC located in Dong Anh District, Hanoi in which the latter provides meals for the former’s students.
After an inspection, the authority found that they meet criteria in line with the law.
Samples of food offered to the students during the field trip and food at the school’s canteen have been taken and sent to the National Institute for Food Control for testing.
The Hanoi Food Safety Authority also worked with the medical center in Gia Lam District to take samples from the Canh Buom Xanh Tourist Site, according to the Vietnam News Agency.