JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

Mother, son hospitalized after eating cicada larvae in Vietnam’s Dong Nai

Mother, son hospitalized after eating cicada larvae in Vietnam’s Dong Nai

Thursday, June 08, 2023, 13:30 GMT+7
Mother, son hospitalized after eating cicada larvae in Vietnam’s Dong Nai
Doctors advise residents against eating cicada larvae infected with fungi as they may cause food poisoning. Photo: Tuoi Tre

A woman and her 12-year-old son in Dong Nai Province, southern Vietnam have been hospitalized for food poisoning after eating fried cicada larvae with young fungi outside.

N. N.T.T.N., a resident of Xuan Tho Commune, Xuan Loc District, Dong Nai Province, said she and his son, P.H.T., ate larvae measuring some three centimeters each at about 4:00 pm on Tuesday.

The larvae were cicada larvae with many white and grey young fungi outside and one-centimeter red fungi on their heads, N. added

N. ate two larvae and T. downed five.

They developed the symptoms of dizziness, stomach pain, repeated vomiting, diarrhea, hand and leg tremors, and fatigue an hour after eating the larvae, so they were rushed to the Long Khanh General Hospital in Dong Nai for first aid.

N. was later moved to the Thong Nhat General Hospital in Dong Nai for treatment.

She is now in stable condition, Nguyen Thi Kim Loan, deputy director of the hospital, said on Thursday.

Meanwhile, T. showed symptoms of nystagmus and slow reaction time, so he was transferred to the Dong Nai Children's Hospital in the province.

Doctors have helped clear his body of poisons.

As there is no antitoxin for fungal poisoning, doctors will focus on treating the patient’s symptoms.

Doctors advised residents against eating larvae infected with fungi as there are many kinds of poisonous fungi, which may cause multi-organ failure and arrhythmias while posing a high mortality risk

Last month, a 34-year-old man in south-central Binh Thuan Province was also hospitalized after he ate more than 10 cicada larva shells, misunderstanding that they were caterpillar fungi.

Like us on Facebook or  follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Thanh Ha - A Loc / Tuoi Tre News

More

Read more

;

Photos

VIDEOS

‘Taste of Australia’ gala dinner held in Ho Chi Minh City after 2-year hiatus

Taste of Australia Gala Reception has returned to the Park Hyatt Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City's District 1 after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic

Vietnamese woman gives unconditional love to hundreds of adopted children

Despite her own immense hardship, she has taken in and cared for hundreds of orphans over the past three decades.

Latest news