An awards ceremony was organized in Ho Chi Minh City on New Year’s Day to exalt 10 exemplary youths who gained exceptional achievements in 2017.
The event was held first thing in the new year to show city leaders’ respect for and expectations of the youths, who “reflect the city’s present and future.”
Secretary of the municipal Party Committee Nguyen Thien Nhan as well as other city dignitaries attended the ceremony.
|Nguyen Thanh An, a university student honored for his face recognition software. Photo: Tuoi Tre|
The conferees were shortlisted from 75 dossiers submitted by organizations and enterprises across the metropolis.
They set shining examples to their peers in various areas, ranging from research, application of information technology, agriculture, medicine, performing arts, sports to combating social ills.
Some of the youths donned their uniforms to partake in the ceremony to express immense pride in their job.
|Fourteen-year-old Mai Hai Yen, an outstanding leader of the Ho Chi Minh Young Pioneer Organization. Photo: Tuoi Tre|
Speaking at the event, Secretary of the municipal Party Committee Nhan requested more policies to multiply these outstanding examples and inspire young local people to lead a good life.
He also called for mechanisms to help the conferees shine further in the future by providing grants for them.
The municipal leaders will join the youth’s efforts in implementing the city’s seven programs meant to turn the metropolis into a worthwhile, civilized place, Nhan affirmed.
|Pham Khanh Ngoc, an outstanding opera singer. Photo: Tuoi Tre|
The event has honored a total of 78 notable youths since its inception 12 years ago.
2017’s 10 exemplary young citizens are:
1. Nguyen Thanh An, 25, a university student with his face recognition software which holds high application potential in building a smart city.
|Young weightlifter Thach Kim Tuan. Photo: Tuoi Tre|
2. Pham Huu Loc, 25, a Ho Chi Minh Communist Youth Union cadre who runs an eatery that offers the poor meals worth a mere VND3,000 (US$0.1)
3. Bui Minh Thang, 26, owner of a mushroom farm who adopts effective modern production procedures in his family’s business
4. Thach Kim Tuan, 23, a young weightlifter who nabbed three gold medals at the 2017 World Weighlifting Championship
|Truong My Hoa (C), former Deputy State President, poses with Ho Chi Minh City’s 10 exemplary young citizens in 2017. Photo: Tuoi Tre|
5. Le Phuoc Hung, 28, a sanitation worker with his innovations in operating a waste treatment system which saved the company he works at nearly VND2 billion ($87,961)
6. Nguyen Ha Phuong, 30, a doctor known for his outstanding research in cancer screening and a proposition in offering patient examinations at 4:30 am to relieve hospital overloading
7. Lieutenant Le Hoang Hao, 25, a drug-related crime police officer who, along with his comrades, bust one of the country’s largest drug concocting rings to date
|Police officer Le Hoang Hao. Photo: Tuoi Tre|
8. Mai Hai Yen, 14, an outstanding leader of the Ho Chi Minh Young Pioneer Organization
9. Pham Khanh Ngoc, 29, one of the country’s famed opera singers who won the second prize at the SLO-ASEAN Vocal Competition, founded and organized by the Singapore Lyric Opera
10. Le Thanh Tung, 22, who made history by becoming the first-ever Vietnamese gymnast to win gold at the Asian Artistic Gymnastics Championships in May 2017