Authorities in Vietnam have imposed restrictions on the number of guests at a wedding reception of a Vietnamese-South Korean couple to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
The wedding reception is scheduled to take place in Lai Uyen Town, Bau Bang District, Binh Duong Province on Sunday, Le Khac Tri, chairman of Bau Bang, told Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper on Saturday.
The bride is Vietnamese while the groom comes from Daegu, South Korea, he said, adding that hundreds of guests, including foreigners, had been invited.
Daegu is a COVID-19 epicenter in South Korea, a country hard hit by the virus.
South Korea reported 76 new coronavirus cases on Sunday, bringing the country’s total to 8,162 with 75 deaths, Reuters reported the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as saying.
The Bau Bang People’s Committee said that almost 20 South Koreans invited by the groom had arrived in Vietnam in late January, now well past the 14-day threshold recommended for quarantine, and they are in goold health.
The groom’s parents and other next of kin are currently in South Korea and will not join his wedding party in Binh Duong.
Vietnam requires that anyone coming from countries where there is a major COVID-19 ourbreak be isolated for 14 days – the advised incubation period of the coronavirus – upon entry into the Southeast Asian nation.
Local authorities asked that the bride limit the number of Vietnamese invitees and her family cooperated, providing them with a list of guests.
But about 300 guests have been invited to the wedding reception so they will all have their body temperature checked before participating in the party, officials said.
COVID-19 prevention personnel in Binh Duong have been required to closely monitor the wedding in order to stem any possible viral infection.
Locals had been worried about the wedding between N. and her groom Y.
Officials were then alerted, sending health workers to disinfect the wedding reception site in Lai Uyen Town and persuade the family to cooperate in curbing the disease.
Vietnam has confirmed 53 COVID-19 patients, 16 of them having fully recovered and been discharged from the hospital by February 26. The others are being isolated and treated in hospitals across Vietnam.
No infection has been reported in Binh Duong.