It is not yet necessary to suspend dine-in services in Ho Chi Minh City, but local diners must not serve over 30 guests at a time, according to chairman of the municipal People’s Committee Nguyen Thanh Phong.
Chairman Phong convened a meeting on COVID-19 prevention and control with leaders of local districts and Thu Duc City on Monday morning.
At the gathering, the city leader stated that all eateries must not serve over 30 customers at the same time and must strictly comply with other COVID-19 prevention and control regulations.
District-level authorities are in charge of inspecting these venues to make sure they follow the rules.
They, however, must be flexible and focus on raising awareness so that eatery owners voluntarily comply with the regulations.
“We do not want to shut down any diner. If these venues wish to continue operating, they have to cooperate,” chairman Phong said.
According to the People’s Committee in District 11, several teams have been established to examine local restaurants and eateries to make sure customers are socially distancing.
They also encouraged residents to buy takeaway food instead of using dine-in services.
Authorities in District 1 and District 5 said they have taken similar measures.
Depending on the situation, they may propose the closure of restaurants with large capacity and higher risk.
Vietnam has documented 3,489 COVID-19 cases as of Tuesday morning, with 2,618 recoveries and 35 deaths, according to the Ministry of Health.
The country has recorded 486 local COVID-19 infections since April 27, with Ho Chi Minh City logging only one case.
Authorities in the southern metropolis previously closed all karaoke parlors, bars, and discos from April 30, and massage parlors, saunas, cinemas, theaters, and online game centers from May 3.
Indoor sports facilities, wedding reception centers, and buffet restaurants were also suspended from May 7.