Two teenage siblings from Vietnam’s central province of Quang Nam died after eating a poisonous herb commonly known as "heartbreak grass" or la ngon, near their house, local authorities said on Friday.
H.V.T., 16, along with his sister H.T.T.T., 14, who lived in Nam Tra My District, were consuming the poisonous herb at around 8:50 pm the day before as the siblings picked up quarrels, according to preliminary investigation.
The deadly grass was reportedly located in a garden close to their house.
Upon hearing the case, district police came to examine the scene and conduct an autopsy on the poisoned bodies.
Further investigation is underway.
Tran Duy Dung, chairman of People's Committee of Nam Tra My District, said that many residents have lost their lives to the deadly herb since this plant population has scaled up in this locality over the past few years.
“Even small domestic squabbles or lover’s quarrels can bring about the idea of eating this toxic plant in a suicide attempt,” said the chaiman.
Gelsemium elegans, commonly known as heartbreak grass or la ngon, is classified by the Vietnamese healthcare sector as one of the most poisonous plants.
The herb contains gelsemine, which, when ingested, can cause dizziness, convulsion and death.
Anecdotes say that a person would die after eating just three leaves of the plant.