Eight third graders in Hanoi were admitted to a hospital for a health check after trying an e-cigarette that one of them had found at home and brought to school earlier this week.
Nguyen Thi Bich Hanh, principal of Hoang Liet Elementary School in Hoang Mai District, told Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper on Wednesday that doctors released all eight children from the hospital after they were cleared of any risk.
Staff at Hoang Liet Elementary School noticed that the eight students, all in third grade, were complaining of nausea at around 12:30 pm on Monday.
The students told the staff that one of them had found an e-cigarette at his home and brought it to school.
The child and his friends then smoked the device during break time.
A school staff member then brought the children to Bach Mai Hospital in Dong Da District and informed their families of the incident.
Hanh said the school would learn from the experience and use it to teach students about the harmful effects of e-cigarettes, as well as work with families on strategies that will enable them to keep a more watchful eye on their children.
Previously, a five-year-old child was admitted to the Vietnam National Children’s Hospital in a coma after drinking vaping liquid.
Dr. Tran Dang Xoay said that many e-cigarettes do not contain regular nicotine, but instead illicit drugs.
Children are at high risk of being poisoned by drinking or swallowing e-cigarette liquid, the doctor warned.