JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

1 dead, 2 hospitalized after eating puffer fish in south-central Vietnam

1 dead, 2 hospitalized after eating puffer fish in south-central Vietnam

Wednesday, September 20, 2023, 08:34 GMT+7
1 dead, 2 hospitalized after eating puffer fish in south-central Vietnam
A puffer fish. Photo: Tuoi Tre

Three people in Ninh Thuan Province, south-central Vietnam suffered food poisoning after eating canh chua (Vietnamese sweet and sour soup) with puffer fish, with one of them dead later, local authorities said on Tuesday.

At 11:00 am on Friday last week, Huynh Van C., 35, Do Van Ph., 34, and Do Tai Tr., 35, caught a puffer fish weighing around two kilograms, according to the People’s Committee of Thuan Nam District, Ninh Thuan Province, where the three reside. 

They later cooked canh chua with the fish.

After eating the dish, the three developed symptoms of poisoning, such as numbness of the lips, tongue, hands, and legs, fatigue, and dizziness at 1:00 pm the same day.

They visited the medical station in Ca Na Commune, Thuan Nam District for first aid.

They were later transferred to the Ninh Thuan General Hospital for further treatment as the symptoms persisted. 

However, C. died at 0:30 on Saturday last week.

Meanwhile, Ph. and Tr. have overcome the critical stage but are still at the hospital.

Chairman of the Ninh Thuan People’s Committee Tran Quoc Nam has written to relevant departments and agencies asking them to enhance the food safety management in the province.

They should improve residents’ awareness of using food safely and ask locals not to eat puffer fish.

Nam also required units under the provincial Department of Health to figure out the cause of the above food poisoning case and the provincial General Hospital to provide intensive care for the poisoned patients.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Thanh Ha - Duy Ngoc / Tuoi Tre News


Read more




‘Taste of Australia’ gala dinner held in Ho Chi Minh City after 2-year hiatus

Taste of Australia Gala Reception has returned to the Park Hyatt Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City's District 1 after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic

Vietnamese woman gives unconditional love to hundreds of adopted children

Despite her own immense hardship, she has taken in and cared for hundreds of orphans over the past three decades.

Vietnam’s Mekong Delta celebrates spring with ‘hat boi’ performances

The art form is so popular that it attracts people from all ages in the Mekong Delta

Vietnamese youngster travels back in time with clay miniatures

Each work is a scene caught by Dung and kept in his memories through his journeys across Vietnam

Latest news