JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

Ban on firecrackers violated in northern provinces

Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 11:45 GMT+7
Ban on firecrackers violated in northern provinces
Remnants of the exploded firecrackers are seen on a road in Gia Loc Town, Hai Duong Province on February 3, 2014

Despite the government’s 20-year-old ban on firecrackers, many residents in several northern provinces still set off firecrackers during the past Tet holiday.

These provinces include Hai Duong, Nam Dinh, Quang Binh and Quang Tri, where many people set off firecrackers and thereby violated the ban on making, selling and letting off firecrackers issued by the government in 1994 for safety and security reasons.

In many rural areas in Hai Duong, firecrackers began to be set off on the Lunar New Year’s Eve (January 31) and this continued during the first days of the Lunar New Year.

Shredded red papers from the exploded firecrackers were scattered on roads, alleys, pavements in a number of districts of the province, including Tu Ky, Gia Loc, Ninh Giang, and Thanh Mien.

By the third day of the Lunar New Year (February 2, 2014), the roadways of many streets in Gia Loc District were still covered by the remnants of the exploded firecrackers.

The same situation was seen in Ninh Giang District’s Vinh Hoa Commune, where locals said many of the exploded firecrackers were homemade.

In Thanh Mien District, only in the period between the Eve of Tet and noon of the first day of the Lunar New Year, police detected and handled 50 violations of the ban on firecrackers.  

In Nam Dinh Province, the sound of exploding firecrackers was heard for 30 minutes from the Eve. Most of these firecrackers were smuggled fireworks and flares.

In many areas in Quang Tri and Quang Binh provinces, firecrackers and fireworks were set off publicly over the Tet holiday, especially during Tet’s Eve.

Violators to be strictly handled

Before this year’s Tet, leaders of some of the above-mentioned provinces, including Hai Duong, pledged that measures would be taken to prevent the letting-off of firecrackers during the festival, which occurred in some previous Tets, but the reality was totally different.  

In talking with Tuoi Tre on Tuesday afternoon, Nguyen Duc Cuong, chairman of Quang Tri Province People’s Committee, confirmed that a large quantity of firecrackers had been let off in Lao Bao Town.

The authorities have asked local police to investigate, Cuong said. 

Senior Lieutenant Colonel Le Quy Thuong, chief of the Secretariat of the Hai Duong Province Police, said that police have handled 86 cases of firecrackers being set off and seized about 300 kg of firecrackers.

Police will strictly handle all violators and clarify the responsibility of local authorities in failing to prevent the prohibited practice, Thuong said.

Tuoitrenews

More

Read more

Photos

VIDEOS

Experience summer sand-boarding in Mui Ne

Sand-boarding, a popular activity amongst local children in the coastal tourism town of Mui Ne in south-central Vietnam, is attracting hundreds of tourists to the Red Sand Dunes

Young maple trees given better protection as Hanoi enters rainy season

The trees are currently growing well, with green leaves and healthy branches.

Hunting skinks for food in southern Vietnam

Skink meat is known to be soft, tasty, and highly nutritious.

Vietnamese-made app allows people to grow real veggies via smartphone

Nguyen Thi Duyen, a young engineer in Hanoi, developed the app and its related services to help busy people create their own veggie gardens.

Chinese tourists hit by Vietnamese over dine and dash

Four Chinese were reportedly injured, with one having a broken arm.

Latest news