Three Brazilian novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) patients linked to a bar in Ho Chi Minh City, who retested positive for the virus after recovering, have recovered following their second round of treatment, the Ministry of Health said Tuesday.
The three Brazilian nationals, a woman and two men aged 39 to 45, have recovered from COVID-19 after their treatment at a makeshift hospital in outlying Cu Chi District, the ministry said.
They have tested negative for the novel coronavirus twice since restarting their treatment.
The patients no longer exhibit any COVID-19 symptoms and will continue to be quarantined and monitored for another 14 days.
The three cases were originally traced to a COVID-19 cluster at Buddha bar in District 2, Ho Chi Minh City.
They made a recovery in mid-April after being treated at the Cu Chi hospital, but retested positive for the coronavirus later the same month during an isolation period following their first treatment.
Coronavirus patients declared recovered who later test positive for the disease are still expelling dead lung cells rather than getting a new infection, the World Health Organization (WHO) told AFP on Wednesday last week.
The novel coronavirus, which first emerged in the central Chinese city of Wuhan in December 2019, has infected over 4.34 million people and killed more than 292,800 globally, according to Ministry of Health statistics.
Vietnam has confirmed 288 cases so far, with 252 having recovered. No deaths from the disease has been recorded in the country.
Among the 36 active cases, nearly 20 are being treated at the National Hospital for Tropical Diseases in Hanoi.
Two of the active patients are still in critical condition, including a 43-year-old British pilot in Ho Chi Minh City