JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

Russia dismisses Islamic State responsibility claim for deadly blast

Friday, January 18, 2019, 15:57 GMT+7
Russia dismisses Islamic State responsibility claim for deadly blast
Russian Emergencies Ministry remove the rubble at the site of a partially collapsed apartment block in Magnitogorsk, Russia January 3, 2019. Photo: Reuters

MOSCOW -- Russian investigators on Friday dismissed the veracity of a claim by the Islamic State militant group that it was responsible for a deadly apartment building explosion in December that killed 39 people.

The claim was made in the Al Naba newspaper on Thursday evening and said IS militants had been behind the deadly explosion in the city of Magnitogorsk at the end of December. No proof was provided to back the assertion.

Russia’s Investigative Committee said in a statement that the claim should not be trusted and said investigators were looking at all possible causes of the blast.

Their primary theory was that a gas leak was to blame, the statement said.

Reuters

More

Read more

;

Photos

VIDEOS

Experience summer sand-boarding in Mui Ne

Sand-boarding, a popular activity amongst local children in the coastal tourism town of Mui Ne in south-central Vietnam, is attracting hundreds of tourists to the Red Sand Dunes

Young maple trees given better protection as Hanoi enters rainy season

The trees are currently growing well, with green leaves and healthy branches.

Hunting skinks for food in southern Vietnam

Skink meat is known to be soft, tasty, and highly nutritious.

Vietnamese-made app allows people to grow real veggies via smartphone

Nguyen Thi Duyen, a young engineer in Hanoi, developed the app and its related services to help busy people create their own veggie gardens.

Chinese tourists hit by Vietnamese over dine and dash

Four Chinese were reportedly injured, with one having a broken arm.

Latest news