JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

Three U.S. tourists die in Mexico City Airbnb from carbon monoxide poisoning

Three U.S. tourists die in Mexico City Airbnb from carbon monoxide poisoning

Thursday, November 10, 2022, 14:13 GMT+7
Three U.S. tourists die in Mexico City Airbnb from carbon monoxide poisoning
General view shows the housing complex where three American tourists were found dead in an apartment last week due to carbon monoxide poisoning, as Mexican authorities confirmed to Reuters on Wednesday, in Mexico City, Mexico, November 9, 2022. Photo: Reuters

Three American tourists were found dead last week in a Mexico City apartment they were renting after apparent carbon monoxide poisoning, Mexican authorities confirmed to Reuters on Wednesday.

Friends Kandace Florence, Jordan Marshall and Courtez Hall were visiting the Mexican capital to celebrate the Day of the Dead holiday, according to U.S. news site WAVY, based in Virginia Beach, Virginia, where Florence and Marshall were from.

The Mexico City Attorney General's office, which opened an investigation into the deaths, said the victims' bodies were found Oct. 30 and that studies indicated they died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The victims were staying in La Rosita, a neighborhood in the Mexico City borough of Cuajimalpa and close to the upscale Santa Fe business district.

Airbnb did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but in a comment to Bloomberg said the deaths were a "terrible tragedy" and that the company was ready to assist with inquiries from authorities.

The tragedy comes as an influx of Americans and other foreigners visit and move to Mexico.

Last month, Mexico City's government signed an agreement with the short-term rental site in what Mayor Claudia Sheinbaum described as an effort to boost the number of "digital nomads" coming to Mexico City.

Gas leaks have caused other deadly incidents involving tourists in Mexico.

In March, an explosion caused by a gas leak killed two people and left 18 injured in a restaurant in a beachside tourist town of Playa del Carmen.

In 2018, a family of four from Iowa was found dead at their vacation condominium in Akumal, about an hour from Cancun, suffocated from gas.

The U.S. embassy in Mexico City did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Three American tourists were found dead last week in a Mexico City apartment they were renting after apparent carbon monoxide poisoning, Mexican authorities confirmed to Reuters on Wednesday.

Friends Kandace Florence, Jordan Marshall and Courtez Hall were visiting the Mexican capital to celebrate the Day of the Dead holiday, according to U.S. news site WAVY, based in Virginia Beach, Virginia, where Florence and Marshall were from.

The Mexico City Attorney General's office, which opened an investigation into the deaths, said the victims' bodies were found Oct. 30 and that studies indicated they died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The victims were staying in La Rosita, a neighborhood in the Mexico City borough of Cuajimalpa and close to the upscale Santa Fe business district.

Airbnb did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but in a comment to Bloomberg said the deaths were a "terrible tragedy" and that the company was ready to assist with inquiries from authorities.

The tragedy comes as an influx of Americans and other foreigners visit and move to Mexico.

Last month, Mexico City's government signed an agreement with the short-term rental site in what Mayor Claudia Sheinbaum described as an effort to boost the number of "digital nomads" coming to Mexico City.

Gas leaks have caused other deadly incidents involving tourists in Mexico.

In March, an explosion caused by a gas leak killed two people and left 18 injured in a restaurant in a beachside tourist town of Playa del Carmen.

In 2018, a family of four from Iowa was found dead at their vacation condominium in Akumal, about an hour from Cancun, suffocated from gas.

The U.S. embassy in Mexico City did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Reuters

More

Read more

Disasters cost $268 billion in 2022: Swiss Re

Natural and man-made catastrophes have caused $268 billion of economic losses so far in 2022, chiefly driven by Hurricane Ian and other extreme weather disasters, reinsurance giant Swiss Re estimated Thursday

22 hours ago
;

Photos

VIDEOS

‘Taste of Australia’ gala dinner held in Ho Chi Minh City after 2-year hiatus

Taste of Australia Gala Reception has returned to the Park Hyatt Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City's District 1 after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic

Vietnamese woman gives unconditional love to hundreds of adopted children

Despite her own immense hardship, she has taken in and cared for hundreds of orphans over the past three decades.

Vietnam’s Mekong Delta celebrates spring with ‘hat boi’ performances

The art form is so popular that it attracts people from all ages in the Mekong Delta

Vietnamese youngster travels back in time with clay miniatures

Each work is a scene caught by Dung and kept in his memories through his journeys across Vietnam

Latest news

Disasters cost $268 billion in 2022: Swiss Re

Natural and man-made catastrophes have caused $268 billion of economic losses so far in 2022, chiefly driven by Hurricane Ian and other extreme weather disasters, reinsurance giant Swiss Re estimated Thursday