JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

Vietnamese toddler in critical condition after getting four painkillers a day

Vietnamese toddler in critical condition after getting four painkillers a day

Thursday, August 15, 2019, 17:06 GMT+7
Vietnamese toddler in critical condition after getting four painkillers a day
T.V.D. is treated at the general hospital in the northern Vietnamese province of Phu Tho in this photo supplied by the infirmary.

A 27-month-old boy in the northern Vietnamese province of Phu Tho has suffered severe paracetamol poisoning after his family gave him a total of 16 painkiller pills in four straight days, believing it would treat his fever.

The toddler, T.V.D., was admitted to the Phu Tho General Hospital on Wednesday with such symptoms as drowsiness, high fever, difficulty breathing, coughing and wheezing, irregular heart rates, poor lung ventilation, and an enlarged liver.

D.’s family members stated they had given him four pills of Paracetamol 500mg every day for four consecutive days as he was having recurrent fever.

After diagnosing the young boy with a paracetamol overdose, doctors used a ventilator to support his breathing, carried out a gastric lavage, and performed alkaline treatment.

The patient’s condition, however, worsened about two hours later as he went into a coma and suffered from a fast heart rhythm, hypotension, severe coagulopathy, and elevated liver enzymes, which were symptoms of acute liver failure.

Doctors in Phu Tho say the toddler needs a liver transplant or his condition will become fatal.

The boy was thus transferred to the Vietnam National Children's Hospital in Hanoi for further treatment.

According to Phan Hong Sang, a senior doctor at the Phu Tho General Hospital, a three-year-old child died of paracetamol poisoning at the infirmary about a year ago.

Sang strongly advised that parents only give their children prescribed medicines to prevent similar incidents.

Women who are breastfeeding their kids must also consult doctors before taking any type of medicine.

People should make sure their medicine at home is kept out of children’s reach, the doctor added.

Paracetamol poisoning, also known as acetaminophen poisoning, is caused by excessive use of the medication paracetamol (acetaminophen), which can result in such complications as kidney failure and pancreatitis, or death.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Tuoi Tre News

More

Read more

;

Photos

VIDEOS

‘Taste of Australia’ gala dinner held in Ho Chi Minh City after 2-year hiatus

Taste of Australia Gala Reception has returned to the Park Hyatt Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City's District 1 after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic

Vietnamese woman gives unconditional love to hundreds of adopted children

Despite her own immense hardship, she has taken in and cared for hundreds of orphans over the past three decades.

Vietnam’s Mekong Delta celebrates spring with ‘hat boi’ performances

The art form is so popular that it attracts people from all ages in the Mekong Delta

Vietnamese youngster travels back in time with clay miniatures

Each work is a scene caught by Dung and kept in his memories through his journeys across Vietnam

Latest news