JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

Vietnamese toddler comatose, suffers convulsions after drinking 200ml of alcohol

Vietnamese toddler comatose, suffers convulsions after drinking 200ml of alcohol

Thursday, April 14, 2022, 15:32 GMT+7

A two-year-old Vietnamese boy has been hospitalized in a coma, accompanied by convulsions, after drinking 200 millimeters of alcohol by mistake in northern Lao Cai Province.

The Lao Cai Obstetrics and Children’s Hospital announced on Tuesday the case of S.S.B., a two-year-old Mong ethnic boy in Bac Ha District, who mistakenly drank a small bowl of alcohol at around 2:00 am on April 5.

As the boy woke up from a thirst during his sleep, he poured liquid from a container, which he thought was water but actually was alcohol left by some relatives on the night before, into a small bowl and drank about 200 milliliters of it.

The baby then went back to sleep, but his family could not wake him up on the morning of April 5.

As he convulsed with pain, the family took him to the Lao Cai Obstetrics and Children’s Hospital, where doctors diagnosed him with alcohol poisoning and gave him electrolytes.

“This is the youngest case of alcohol poisoning in a child at our hospital,” said Dr. Vu Thi Hai Yen, head of the emergency resuscitation department of the hospital.

“After nearly three days of intense treatment, the baby regained consciousness and stable health.”

In Vietnam, many people think that it is fine to let children taste a little bit of alcohol, according to Dr. Yen.

In fact, the health of children is affected just by a small sip of alcohol.

“A sip of alcohol can make a child’s face turn red and feel dizzy,” Yen added. 

“The more alcohol, the more harm to the brain, eyes, liver, and kidneys.

“Alcohol also causes intellectual impairment, poor memory, loss of concentration, and affects children’s thinking and learning abilities.”

The doctor advises adults to take children suffering poisoning to the nearest medical facility as soon as possible and bring along the food or drink that the children consumed for testing.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Bao Anh - Duong Lieu / Tuoi Tre News


Read more




‘Taste of Australia’ gala dinner held in Ho Chi Minh City after 2-year hiatus

Taste of Australia Gala Reception has returned to the Park Hyatt Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City's District 1 after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic

Vietnamese woman gives unconditional love to hundreds of adopted children

Despite her own immense hardship, she has taken in and cared for hundreds of orphans over the past three decades.

Vietnam’s Mekong Delta celebrates spring with ‘hat boi’ performances

The art form is so popular that it attracts people from all ages in the Mekong Delta

Vietnamese youngster travels back in time with clay miniatures

Each work is a scene caught by Dung and kept in his memories through his journeys across Vietnam

Latest news