The Vietnam Food Safety Authority under the Ministry of Health requested the Department of Health of south-central Khanh Hoa Province on Friday afternoon to suspend the catering service at the iSchool Nha Trang after about 270 students got food poisoning following their lunch in the previous day.
The students were hospitalized for emergency treatment, and none of them reported serious developments.
Some 840 out of the iSchool Nha Trang’s 1,328 students paid for daily lunch service and had the meals there at noon on Friday.
The number is slightly different from the Medical Center of Nha Trang City’s initial report of 930 students.
The iSchool Nha Trang issued an apology to its students and their parents shortly after.
An inspection conducted by a delegation of multiple agencies on the same day showed that the school’s catering service meets all food safety requirements.
Authorities are examining the samples of the dishes given to the students on Friday to find out the cause of food poisoning.
In the meantime, the service is suspended until further notice.
The iSchool is a K-12 international intergrated school system and a member of Nguyen Hoang Group, an education service provider in Vietnam.
The system was established in 2008 and has been expanded to 14 provinces and cities across the country, according to its website.