Eight more people had been found dead by Tuesday morning following downpour-sparked landslides in Vietnam’s coastal city of Nha Trang last weekend, taking the fatalities to 17.
Three victims have remained missing since the deluge-prompted landslides on Saturday night and early Sunday.
Search efforts have encountered considerable difficulty as victims were buried under a thick mass of earth and rubble in a now-inaccessible area, according to Nguyen Sy Khanh, deputy chairman of the Nha Trang administration.
The disaster reduced 30 village houses to rubble and injured 31 people, Khanh said.
Transport authorities said the portions of national roads traversing Nha Trang are clear of landslip blocks but affected lifeline routes leading to the resort city have not been completely fixed.
The city is bracing for a possible strong typhoon that is predicted to make landfall by this weekend, carrying heavy rain.