A four-year-old child has been killed and another hospitalized after eating dog poison that looked similar to a lollipop in Vietnam’s Central Highlands.
The incidents took place in Cu Jut District, Dak Nong Province on Monday morning, an official from the local administration confirmed later the same day.
Pham Le Anh Th. and La Thu Ng., four years old, were playing at the yard in front of their house when they saw an object on the ground and thought it was a lollipop.
Shortly after eating the item, the two girls collapsed on the ground and showed signs of difficulty breathing.
They were rushed to the hospital for emergency treatment.
Ng. passed away at the infirmary, while Th. is still receiving treatment.
Police officers stated that the children had eaten dog poison that looked like a lollipop, which is often left behind by local dog thieves in order to kill and steal household dogs.
Further investigation is ongoing to identify those who may have left the dog poison on the ground.
Such a tragedy is not unprecedented in Cu Jut District.
In December 2016, a 53-year-old man died after biting into a stick of dog poison he believed to be a lollipop.
In 2014, a 22-month-old boy was killed after picking up a similar stick of dog poison in front of his house and eating it.