JavaScript is off. Please enable to view full site.

Police launch investigation into deadly fire at karaoke parlor in southern Vietnam

Police launch investigation into deadly fire at karaoke parlor in southern Vietnam

Friday, September 09, 2022, 13:56 GMT+7
Police launch investigation into deadly fire at karaoke parlor in southern Vietnam
Smoke rises from An Phu karaoke parlor in Binh Duong Province, Vietnam, September 7, 2022. Photo: T.T.D. / Tuoi Tre

The Department of Public Security in Binh Duong Province, southern Vietnam has initiated its investigation into a fire that broke out at a local karaoke parlor and killed 32 people earlier this week.

Colonel Luu Minh Hoang, an official at the Binh Duong Department of Public Security, on Thursday signed a decision to investigate the violations of fire prevention and fighting regulations at An Phu karaoke parlor in Thuan An City.

An official at the provincial People’s Procuracy told Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper that the agency had received the decision and began conducting an examination of the scene of the incident.

Information released by police showed that An Phu karaoke parlor is a 500-square-meter venue consisting of three floors and 30 singing rooms.

The owner of the venue, which began operations in 2016, is 42-year-old Le Xuan Anh from Binh Duong Province. He currently resides in Thu Duc, Ho Chi Minh City.

The inferno started on the second floor of the facility at around 8:30 pm on Tuesday and quickly spread to other areas of the venue.

After being notified of the incident, nearly 70 officers and over 10 specialized vehicles were dispatched to the scene.

Twenty-two people were rescued from the flames while several others managed to escape on their own but were injured in the process.

Authorities in Binh Duong confirmed on Thursday afternoon that 32 people were killed in the fire.

Most news outlets previously reported that the death toll was 33 due to some confusion during the rescue process, according to a local official.

About 20 of the deceased victims have been identified, said Huynh Minh Chin, deputy director of the provincial Department of Health.

The identification process faces lots of difficulties as many of the bodies were badly burnt, Colonel Trinh Ngoc Quyen, director of the Binh Duong Department of Public Security, elaborated.

The Binh Duong General Hospital is treating two injured victims, while several others with milder wounds are being monitored at An Phu General Hospital in Thuan An City.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

Duy Khang - Hoang Diep - Minh Hoa / Tuoi Tre News

More

Read more

;

Photos

VIDEOS

‘Taste of Australia’ gala dinner held in Ho Chi Minh City after 2-year hiatus

Taste of Australia Gala Reception has returned to the Park Hyatt Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City's District 1 after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic

Vietnamese woman gives unconditional love to hundreds of adopted children

Despite her own immense hardship, she has taken in and cared for hundreds of orphans over the past three decades.

Vietnam’s Mekong Delta celebrates spring with ‘hat boi’ performances

The art form is so popular that it attracts people from all ages in the Mekong Delta

Vietnamese youngster travels back in time with clay miniatures

Each work is a scene caught by Dung and kept in his memories through his journeys across Vietnam

Latest news