A schoolboy died when trying to create homemade firecrackers with a friend in Vietnam on Thursday.
Cao Tien Thin, chairman of Tan An Commune in Tan Ky District, Nghe An Province confirmed the incident on Friday morning.
Accordingly, local people heard an explosion from V.’s residence in Tan An Commune at around 7:30 pm on Thursday.
The neighbors ran to V.’s house to check and found two boys lying motionless with several wounds.
The boys were rushed to the medical center of Tan Ky District for emergency treatment.
Of the duo, M., a 16-year-old grandson of V., could not make it while his friend, B.D.M., is still under treatment.
Teachers from M.’s school -- Tan Ky 3 High School -- visited the two students’ families following the incident, according to principal Tran Trung.
Police officers in Tan Ky District also arrived at the scene on Thursday night to investigate the case.
On Thursday afternoon, three students in Nghe An’s Nam Dan District were badly injured as their homemade firecrackers exploded.
H., one of the three injured students, had both hands amputated.
Traumatic consequences from cases where teenage students created and played with firecrackers made with guidance from online videos, especially when Tet (Vietnamese Lunar New Year) nears, have been worrying people in north-central Vietnamese localities.
Authorities in north-central Nghe An and Ha Tinh Provinces have continuously handled cases related to creating or playing with handmade firecrackers among local students in recent days.
Despite that, the students seem to have learned no lesson from the serious accidents.
Vietnamese law prohibits all activities in association with the production, trading, transportation, import, export, storage, and use of firecrackers and fireworks and materials thereof, except for some specific cases.
The government recently amended a decree, which took effect on January 11, allowing all Vietnamese to light up fireworks for some special events such as Lunar New Year festivals, birthdays, wedding ceremonies, conferences, grand openings, anniversaries, and cultural activities.
However, the fireworks allowed are the kind that do not explode.