Authorities in Vietnam have confirmed a mass food poisoning incident that has led to the hospitalization of 48 people who ate banh mi, or Vietnamese sandwiches, bought from a popular brand name.
Officials in Da Lat City under Lam Dong Province, located in the Central Highlands region, said on Tuesday that 48 people had been hospitalized after consuming banh mi prepared by Lien Hoa Bakery, which is a famous name and popular with visitors to the city.
The diners fell sick from March 18 to 21 after they ate sandwiches bought from either of the two Lien Hoa Bakery stores on Tran Phu and Phan Chu Trinh Street in Da Lat, local authorities said.
The patients were admitted to Lam Dong General Hospital and Hoan My Hospital, with signs of digestive disorders, vomiting, and fever.
|A boy is hospitalized after eating 'banh mi' bought from Lien Hoa Bakery in Da Lat City, Lam Dong Province, Vietnam. Photo: M.V. / Tuoi Tre|
Nguyen Hoang Nhat Nam, 15, was brought to hospital with symptoms of abdominal pain and diarrhea on Friday after eating sandwiches bought by his teacher at Lien Hoa Bakery at 165 Phan Chu Trinh Street.
Tuyet, a native of Da Lat, encountered the same situation as she suffered stomach ache, diarrhea, and fatigue after eating vegan sandwiches at the other store at 9 Tran Phu Street.
Upon receiving reports about the cases, local authorities quickly inspected the bakeries.
The bakery owner failed to present documents proving the ingredient origin at the time, said Bui Van Do, director of the Lam Dong Food Safety and Hygiene Agency under the provincial health department.
“We are conducting further investigation while ordering the temporary closure of the stores,” Do added.