Six men in Hoa Binh, northern Vietnam were hospitalized for food poisoning treatment after eating longnose gar eggs.
They developed symptoms including stomach ache, vomiting, and diarrhea.
The worst patient also suffered headache, dizziness, and fatigue.
The Hoa Binh General Hospital on Monday said it was treating the six patients.
They had earlier steamed a 10-kilogram longnose gar and cooked longnose gar eggs with fermented rice for food.
Those eating the steamed fish showed no abnormal symptoms, while six men eating both dishes developed food poisoning symptoms three to four hours after the meal.
|The longnose gar that the patients ate. Photo: Hoa Binh General Hospital|
Doctor Hoang Cong Tinh, head of the intensive care unit of the Hoa Binh General Hospital, said initial tests showed the patients suffered metabolic acidosis and water and electrolyte disorders.
Doctors have eliminated the poison, drip-fed, and supplied water and electrolytes to the patients.
After two days of treatment, the six have been out of danger and are still being monitored at the hospital.
Longnose gars, whose scientific name is Lepisosteus osseus, originate in the Americas.
Some families in Vietnam raise longnose gars as ornamental fish.
Their eggs contain a poison, which directly hurts eaters’ digestive, nervous, and cardiovascular systems.
Doctors advised residents against eating longnose gar eggs and organs surrounding the eggs.